Sunday, December 2, 2007

Last weeks of college!

One of the things I am really good at is recognizing when I need to begin saying goodbye to a place. Being a professional leaver of places and things, I have learned how to get my fill of a place before I leave it, so that I don't miss it too much. Leaving Washington may be a little different because out of all the places at which I have been relatively sedentary, (except for NH) I have been here the longest.
I have found myself taking the ridiculously long way to and from school, walking through the opulent neighborhoods of AU park and enjoying seeing the Diplomat plates, the Metrobus, little things. Also, the leaves this fall have been especially crispy and took longer to fall of the tree. I think everybody likes leaves.
I am really thankful that I am not graduating with everyone else because I couldn't put up with all of the "Last Time" this and "Last Night" here, etc usually associated with collective human dispersal. I feel like everything is normal. There is no finality in me leaving, which is cool, but I am stoked to leave.
I got most of my finals completed early so I have been torturing myself by watching the Surf Cinema specials on Fuel TV. I saw one about Siargao in the Philippines and it injected me with an unbearable sense of urgency to get out in the surf in an exotic locale again. I remember Siargao was the first time I actually got held against a reef for any significant period of time. The terror of the moment has morphed in my memory, now I look back at that day as one of extraordinary adventure. I spoke with a guy last night that had done some surfing in southern Nicaragua (where I'm going in January) and he told of burly barrels, warm water and uncrowded, friendly line-ups. My only problem is that when I was home for Thanksgiving and surfed the cold swell that came in that week I realized that my 19-credit workload and PC application process schedule has taken alot of time away from staying in shape. I hope I can keep up in the warm water.

No comments: