Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Shameful Blog Negligence

Cairo, 11.20am

I feel awful that I haven't written in so long. Ever since I returned to Morocco I have been using my time to focus my energies locally. I have neglected emails, phone calls, letters, etc.. for no reason other than I really do not feel anything of great interest is happening.

I have been working alot; teaching in the schools and running my Potable Water Security Project. I have been traveling a little bit. I went to Barcelona and had an exceptionally strange emotional experience with a woman. We started a beekeeping cooperative in my village. Now I'm in Cairo at a water management seminar and interviewing for a fellowship. That is all.

I have been learning more Arabic. I can even speak to Egyptians. It is fun and frustrating to go back to feeling like a 6-year-old with language. I remember feeling it when I first got to Morocco and moved into my village. I like this helpless feeling and I also like the rush of excitement when you accomplish something trivial like talking about last night's match.

My leg is better. Everytime I meet a foreigner in Morocco I introduce myself and they inevitably say "Oh you are that guy who...blah blah." This is one way for people to pretend they know me, when they actually just know one weird version of the leg-break story.

Egypt is cool I guess. I came here to figure out if I can live here and be happy, and also to interview for this thing. The University is funny. It is like a fashion show. Thousands of Egypt and the Middle-East's stratospherically-wealthy youth walking around with Lattes and big sunglasses. That part of it makes me want to run away. The fellowship is cool, though. I would be doing similar work to what I do now, but on the research and academic end while gaining my Master's. Sounds Ok.

I had a girlfriend, kind of. I mention that because it has been a really long time since I last "dated" anyone. Anyways that is done.

Morocco is wonderful. One of my best friends, Briana, is leaving and it is a heart-breaker. She is one-in-a-million and she will be missed. Other than that everything in the Kingdom is good. My dog, Maybe, is huge and beautiful. Whitey is healthy and happy. Winter is coming on easy this year. In the spring my parents may come.

2 comments:

Briana said...

finally! keep this up cuz i'm no longer around the corner and we have to keep in touch via the internets, bla, but i'll take what i can get. love you

ducky said...

Hey, just wanted to drop you a line - I stumbled across your blog tonight and really enjoyed reading it. I'm leaving for Peace Corps Guatemala in January so I've been reading tons of PCV blogs. I also tripped across your post on Adam visiting during his Watson. What a random connection, I went to the same college with him.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your excellent writing. I bet that your attitude and sense of adventure will come to mind as encouragement in the months ahead..
Good luck and take care!
Steph